Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Gift

Dave Taylor (Beyond Guide) 1978

Reflections broken by a soft wind,
as I try and understand.
Mountains and the lake before me,
offered as a gift to Man.

Heather Meadows flecked with color,
ice blue sky and sky blue ice.
Silver water on a boulder,
peaks which mirror the evening light.

No shame I'd feel if I deserved them,
bought them, owned them, paid the price.
But Creation is not mine to purchase,
no more than the grace of Christ.


The memories of the place I love, so much, flood each time I prepare to head to Beyond Malibu. I love Dave's words here, but more than words I love his heart and knowing exactly what fleck of heather, blue of blue ice and sky, the color on the mountain and the gift he is talking about. Beyond is a place Jim Caldwell calls, "the thinnest place on earth to eternity", and like Chris sang,"From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea, creation is revealing His majesty."

Something about that place, where you wonder to breakfast half asleep, fall into your Saviors arms during quiet time, and you work, sweat, sing, cry, play and dance all in worship of Him. I love moments on the dock: carrying freight to the barn, drying off after a swim to the rock, dancing (not in unison) to welcome campers, sitting as a community in study or in worship, going on a bear hunt at Cafe Beyond and circling up to pray that God will keep this place alive for the next season. God has blessed me so deeply in showing me Himself through this place. I look forward to see what more He has to show me and others on the Inlet waters and in the incredible Mountains. Thank you Jesus for Beyond and letting me go up again!

No comments: