Thursday, December 11, 2008

The gift of an old dear friend

Yesterday, was a hard day, good but hard, I met with 5 leaders for coffee or breakfast, to help plan a Campaigners Bible Study, talk about where to lead in the area, debrief the All City Club and just catch up. I spoke with 3 donors about giving to NW Seattle and including them in what is happening here. I made a contact with a parent at Lakeside and through her I know of many more advicates in Lakeside. I moved through the day pretty gracefully with a lot of energy building. I have so much to be thankful for but with one phone conversation I spoke sourly with a leader through frustration about the pace that Lakeside is moving. Despite the forward motion, I was cornered to believe it was nothing without club. My insecurities overwhelmed me and I believed it. I wrestled most of the night, thinking and wondering how to move this along faster and encourage leaders to find joy in the waiting and have great victory in the small step, because these steps are more than what's been there before.
As I woke up this morning, I was delighted to go spend some time with a leader, Ashley Holder, and get to know her a little more. This leader is so inspiring to me and her heart for kids is enormous! The strength and hope I recieved from her in this little time was beautiful. I left coffee with her and realized I had been wearing the same thing for a few days now and had not showered (if you know me, you know that when I get too excited about people and when they fill my day I forget to shower and often sleep in my clothes on the couch). I laughed and thought its spa time...which is a ten minute shower and blow drying my hair. :) I was going to be fresh and clean today even if I didn't feel so inside. :)
My friend and fellow intern, met me to spend some time thinking outloud and reading together at coffee shop. I thought I would love to go to the Greenlake Zoka's, because even though Becca and RT are not in town (California & Chile) I want to sit with their arm chairs. (They were always there last spring-just sitting and reading) I just really longed for someone who knows me in & out of ministry and still likes me :) I needed a hug and a conversation that did not involve Young Life. So sitting at Zoka's was as close as I could get to being with RT and Becca.
As I followed Hannah in the door, she stopped to look around for an open table or chair. Her glance was quicker than mine so she turned to walk back out. As I backed out slowly, I took a look for myself and as I glanced I noticed a familiar face, but I knew it could not be him in front of me now...I must be tired and this can't be him. I continued to move backwards out the door but couldn't stop staring at him. He looked up and with mouth opend in surprise, stood and walk towards me smiling. I kept saying to myself he's not real, he's not real, even as he hugged me. Midway through the hug I realized I was not dreaming and he, in fact, was real! So I hugged him and through tears looked to see if he was real, making this the longest hug I have had in a long time. And we stood there in the door way the whole hug, with folks walking in and out around us, and folks seated smiling and laughing at this moment. I couldn't say much other than, I can't believe it, Danville! and cry some more and laugh and then hug him again! :) I was so excited, shocked, emotional, and encouraged by even just his presence. I wanted to be encouraged and wanted to feel loved! This was way better than sitting with RT and Becca's arm chairs. I couldn't believe it, oh and I cried out of pure joy through my study morning, that I had seen Danville, the guy who always makes me cry and laugh so hard. :) Danville has been gone a year living in Africia and I have had to distract myself from how much I missed him so much this whole year. I'm just so glad that he recongized me because I would have just backed out of Zoka's and thought I was going crazy.
I told Hannah afterwards that I have been feeling like Jesus is romancing me more than ever and I have great anticipation and I feel like something so good is coming! Her response was you are living in Advent! I thought that was pretty cool!
Thanks Danville for letting me cry on your shirt and thank you just for being you! What a beautiful gift to have today! :) I have been thinking recently how much I miss being bear hugged by Andrew, RT, EJ, Ponch, and Danville! I love Danville hugs! :)

No comments: